Weight gain is an especially irritating symptom of menopause, especially when combined with the wide array of additional symptoms women are subjected to during this time of hormonal transition. With nearly 90% of menopausal women experiencing some degree of weight gain, it is an incredibly common occurrence. Although widespread, weight gain is nonetheless aggravating, as it affects all aspects of life negatively through reduced self-esteem and the promotion of other symptoms of menopause. With an average of 15 pounds of body weight being gained during menopause, it can cause a reduction of the feminine figure and an increased risk of deadly health concerns. When combined with the whole host of other symptoms of menopause you are likely to experience, weight gain can be incredibly detrimental.
There are fortunately ways to alleviate menopausal weight gain. All that is required is simple lifestyle alterations, mostly regarding diet and regular exercise. Although such adaptations require a great amount of willpower and self-discipline to implement, they are the best possible ways to promote weight loss during menopause.
One important aspect of a menopausal healthy diet is the type of beverages you consume throughout the day. Certain beverages should be avoided as they promote weight gain, and some should be implemented into your diet to increase your success. Utilizing these tips will ensure you greater success in your endeavor to lose weight during menopause. Next, learn what beverages induce or reduce menopause weight gain.
To drink or not to drink?The hormonal imbalances that develop during menopause cause a wide variety of symptoms and side effects. Weight gain is one of the most prominent of these symptoms, as your appetite is influenced by all of the body’s major hormones. Testosterone, estrogen and progesterone all can control, to varying degrees, the amount of food you desire and the types of foods that will best satisfy you. Consuming certain beverages, while avoiding others, is a great way to regain hormonal balance and reduce the amount of weight you gain during menopause.
1. Adequately hydrate yourself throughout the entire dayMost experts recommend a total of six to eight glasses of water each day, an amount that will ensure appropriate and proper functioning of all aspects of the body. Drinking this amount of water each day will also help you to lose weight, as it will loosen the influence that appetite has on your eating habits, as hunger and thirst are often indistinguishable from each other.
Water also helps to absorb fat deposits, an important process in the reduction of weight during menopause. Because of the reduction of estrogen that exists during menopause, the body often attempts to compensate by converting calories into fat as a way of promoting estrogen levels. Lower levels of progesterone in your body also equates to heightened water retention, creating the sensation of bloating. Drinking more water during the day stimulates the passage of such stored water through the digestive system more rapidly and effectively, alleviating bloating.
2. Drink green tea as an alternative to coffee.Caffeinated beverages are often consumed by those who suffer from daytime fatigue, as they provide a burst of energy. This short burst of energy is usually followed by a “crash”, which begins a vicious cycle of detrimental caffeine consumption.
Green tea is an amazing alternative to coffee and other caffeinated beverages, as it increases your body’s metabolic processes in a more natural, healthy way.
3. Limit alcohol consumption.Most alcoholic beverages are rich in calories, especially those that contain high amounts of sugar. Although alcohol can provide a short oasis from menopause and its many symptoms, when utilized over a prolonged period of time, it can actually promote the negative aspects of hormonal transition.
4. Drink fruit and vegetable juices.Vegetable and fruit juices both contain natural sugars that reduce your appetite and can even improve estrogen levels, thus restoring hormonal balance. By providing your body with the nutrients it needs, these juices can leave you feeling satisfied for longer, reducing any overeating you might otherwise partake in. Many natural products also contain phytoestrogen, a natural estrogenic compound that balances the hormones within your body that have been disrupted by menopause.
5. Drink soy milk.Soy is another natural compound that contains great amounts of phytoestrogens, thus it is a great way to promote estrogen levels within your body and reduce many aggravating symptoms of menopause. Replacing cow milk with soy milk during menopause is a great way to lose weight.
Next article will teach you how to lose weight during menopause.