Among many uncomfortable symptoms of menopause, the vaginal dryness is very common one, but women do not talk about it much. It is probably caused by decreased estrogen levels, just like other menopausal symptoms. In this case, vagina and surrounding connective tissues lose elasticity, so the tissue that lines the vagina becomes thinner and fragile. The dryness is usually described as itchy, and it can cause pain and bleeding during sexual intercourse.
Best treatments for vaginal dryness
There are many ways to treat vaginal dryness, but in most cases, natural remedies and lifestyle changes would be enough. Most home remedies are made of olive or coconut oil for vaginal dryness, and they should be used externally, since they can rejuvenate dry and irritated tissues.
Many water-based lubricants and moisturizers can imitate normal vaginal moisture; they relieve dryness and protect from irritation. On the other side, women who have intercourse more often can also increase natural lubrication of the vagina. In addition, just like the entire body, vagina need to be hydrated, so it is important to drink lots of water.
Many products promise that they can relieve vaginal dryness, but due to different chemicals they may contain, vagina can get more irritated. Products like vinegar, yogurt, hand lotions, soaps, and bubble baths should be avoided.
Food as a cure
Proper food types can be more than helpful, and the best choices are phytoestrogens – food that facilitate estrogen production, and bring the hormones in balance. The best help is to add some of numerous food types to daily menus and wait to see results.
- Nuts contain fatty acids, and only 28g of them can meet the daily need for vitamin E, which is crucial in vaginal dryness treatment.
- Soy is phytoestrogen and only 45 mg of it can not only relieve vaginal dryness, but hot flashes, as well.
- Fruits and vegetables are always good idea, and in this case, a woman should look for ones that contain natural water, such as cherries, melon, peppers, broccoli and apple.
- Healthy fats, such as omega-3 and omega-6 oils must be consumed regularly, and the best food sources are fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel. Besides, consuming fatty acids protects the body’s cardiovascular and immune system.
- Flax seed is another natural source of estrogen, and for start, a daily serving should not be more than 2 table spoons.
- Some non-estrogenic herb can also help the maintenance of normal hormone level in the body.
Among many food types, a woman should find sources of vitamins A, E and B12. Vitamin A can support the health of vaginal walls and relieve vaginal dryness, so the best food sources are cheese, eggs, chicken and liver. Vitamin E is very powerful antioxidant that can help in vaginal dryness, thinning and itching, and the best food sources are avocado, blackberries and corn oil. Vitamin B12 can improve 1the function of the adrenal gland, and the best food sources are animal products and yeast extracts.
Healthy diet is the most important thing during the lifetime, and the perfect addition to it is regular exercise. In case of vaginal dryness, the Kegel exercises can strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, and they are very easy to do.
When in menopause, instead of finding home remedies for each symptom you should try to cure the root cause of these symptoms: your hormonal balance. By adopting a healthy lifestyle, focused on natural and unprocessed foods you can achive that and cure all your menopausal symptoms including vaginal dryness. Here are two menopause diet plans, designed for women over 40 to help them achive hormonal balance and wellbeing: Lose Stubborn Belly Fat & Menopause Diet Plan For Women Over 40 .