Nearly 90% of menopausal women experiencing some degree of weight gain during hormonal transition. With these odds, you may be becoming increasingly concerned with ways to decrease such weight gain during your menopause. Although such statistics make weight gain during menopause seem inevitable, this is simply untrue, as there are several methods to promote weight loss.
Hormonal imbalance, however, is an inevitable aspect of menopause. Fluctuations in the amount of hormones in your body during menopause cause a huge array of problems, with intensity and frequency varying between individual women. Instead of working hard to implement various ways to lose weight, first you should obtain an objective view of your daily routine and try to avoid the bad habits you may have become accustomed to. Elimination of these habits can help you immensely to lose weight during menopause. Seven of these detrimental habits of menopausal weight gain are listed here:
1. Driving instead of walkingEspecially if your normal destinations are within walking distance from your house, you have absolutely no excuse to exploit this method of exercising. Not only will you provide your body with the physical activity it requires to stay healthy, but you will save money by not using gasoline, as well! Walking is a great aerobic exercise that can promote weight loss during menopause, especially when performed daily.
2. Beverages do not contribute to daily calorie count.It is common practice to disregard beverages as major sources of sugary and fatty calories. Sugary alcoholic drinks and fatty lattes are equally as detrimental and counterproductive to weight loss as snack cakes are. By eliminating such beverages from your diet, you will also eliminate a major culprit of calorie intake. The caffeine content of coffee and other similar beverages can also have a negative influence on other symptoms of menopause, namely sleep disruption. Caffeine causes a lack of quality sleep, especially when consumed shortly before bedtime.
3. A completely free and lenient diet is the best way to lose weight.Although you need not abandon every one of your favorite tasty foods, you no longer should eat the same way you did when you were younger. The body’s metabolic ability slows with age, disallowing you to continue old eating habits.
4. Water has no taste.Although water has a minimal amount of actual taste, it can be incredibly refreshing, especially when the body is in dire need of hydration. A properly hydrated body will be much more able to fend off the symptoms of menopause, especially weight gain. Because thirst and hunger can often be indistinguishable from one another, remaining adequately hydrated throughout the entire day can reduce hunger and thus overeating and the ensuing weight gain.
5. Cigarettes are a great way to relieve stress.Although a fresh cigarette can be incredibly refreshing to the nicotine addict, they are extremely detrimental to your health and are counterproductive when attempting to lose weight during menopause. Nicotine is a stimulant that can increase your heart rate, and the increased metabolism from this can cause overeating.
6. Skipping breakfast helps to cut calories.Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, as it begins your body’s digestive system and metabolic abilities. No meals should be skipped, as constantly eating small portions throughout the entire day keeps your metabolism high and able to process more fat.
7. Minimalist diets are the most effective when trying to lose weight during menopause.While such diets often consist of healthy and wholesome choices, variety must be pursued, as a balanced diet rich in all essential nutrients and vitamins will best help you to combat weight gain during menopause.
A healthy diet is not the only thing your body will require to lose weight. Combining wholesome dietary choices with regular daily exercise will prove the most beneficial and the most promotional to weight loss during menopause. Not only will these lifestyle choices assist you during hormonal transition, but they will help you to lead a healthier life of increased longevity even after menopause.
Learn how to shop for menopause weight gain.