One of the most frequently asked question by women is if stress can be a factor behind irregularities in their menstrual cycles. The immediate response to their question would be a yes, since stress has been found to be a factor behind irregularities in the menstrual cycle. Stress can affect and disrupt the hormonal generation in the body, consequently impacting the monthly period. However, while stress is a factor causing irregularities in the menstrual cycle, there are a number of ways in which women can bring their period back to normal.
How does stress cause irregularity in the menstrual cycle?Stress makes the adrenal glands heighten cortisol generation. As a result, the increased amounts of cortisol affect the estrogen and progesterone levels present in the body. The subsequent disruption in the hormone production and their quantity in the body can cause irregularities in the menstrual cycle.
How should a woman counter the irregularities in her menstrual cycle that are caused by stress?Women can counter the irregularities in their menstrual cycle that are triggered by stress in several ways. Nevertheless, women need to adjust their lives towards healthier lifestyle choices, since a strong body can combat the aftereffects of menstrual irregularities, triggered by stress. Following are a few things every woman should try to incorporate in her way of living:
• Maintaining a diet plan that promises them health and nutrition at the same time. Experts suggest that women should consume fresh vegetable and fruits at least five times a day.
• Exercising for a minimum of 30 minutes every day, five days a week.
• Getting a good night’s sleep.
• Keeping themselves hydrated by drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily. Avoiding alcoholic beverages.
• Quitting smoking altogether.
Following these simple guidelines, women can not only ensure a physically fit body but can also enjoy the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. In order to cut down on their stress, they should try a few relaxation therapies, so that their menstrual cycles do not get disrupted by any stressful episode. Some relaxation activities are:
• Doing Pilates or yoga: Yoga and Pilates help women relax by encouraging them to take a deep breath, stretch and focus on positive things. They can also help women to give themselves a well-deserved break from their usually hectic schedules and spend more time with themselves. These exercises have been praised by a large number of women for helping them de-stress and easing their irregular periods triggered by stress.
• Meditation: Relaxation can also be gained through meditation. Meditating helps a person to focus on the positive aspects of things, acting like a natural stress reliever. Moreover, it gives women an opportunity to be away from the everyday chores they take care of, right from their house, family and workplace. Relaxing can help them cut the stress cycle and prevent menstrual disturbances caused by stress.
Irregularities in the menstrual cycle are reported by most women while undergoing their menopausal stage. They can occur much ahead of the time when the menstruation actually stops, with some women experiencing irregularities three to 10 years in advance.
Learn more about irregular periods every two weeks.